Monday 14 December 2009

Pre-match report.

The final episode of School of Saatchi is on tonight, bringing this year’s term to a close. I’ll be tuning in at 9 to see who the winner is. If it were about being the best artist, Matt Clarke would be the one packing his bags and looking for hotel rooms in Saint Petersberg, but as it’s about being a personality, It means Saad and Eugenie are still in with a very serious chance. Even though Eugenie still breaks my heart each time she smiles, I don’t think that is quite enough for old man Saatchi, although I’m sure she’d be a winner at gallery openings around the world. Saad also proved he is capable of holding the public’s attention by having a tempter tantrum when Matt Colishaw laid into his work, and his major tiff with Suki. Sam Zealy and Ben Lowe look a little out of their depths, especially after last weeks historical art challenge, and poor Suki’s work is far too painstakingly meticulous. She’ll hopefully do well after the show though, as there seems to be a bit a sea change away from flashy spectacle going on within contemporary art, especially after the credit crunch and financial collapse.
Anyway I’ll be watching, and in the spirit of competition, my odds are, Matt Clarke 2/1, Saad 3/1, Eugenie 4/1, Suki 7/1, Ben about 8/1 and, as some disaster seems to be about to befall Sam in the next episode, he can be the outsider at 10/1.
But what do I know? I thought Roger Hiorns would win the Turner Prize.

1 comment:

Matthew Comer | Photographer said...

Hi there

I came across your blog and really liked the look and I wondered if youd be interested in attending my event and maybe writing a post about it? I then noticed that you do exhibition reviews and i would love it if you would come down and give me soe feedback.

I am growing more and more aware about the power of the blog world and I am inviting a few bloggers to come down and enjoy the night and say what they think about it afterwards.

What do you think?

if you rup for it just drop me a reply and i'll emal you the press release.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Matthew